Background fabric: Cut 4 - 2½ squares. Cut or use a 1½: strip for instructions below.
Accent fabric: Cut 1 - 2½ square. Cut or use a 1½ strip for instructions below.
Quarter Square Triangle instructions
- Match the background and an accent strip right sides together and cut 8 pairs of quarter square triangles with a special quarter square triangle ruler, also known as a companion angle ruler.
- Keep triangle pairs together with background fabric on top and long side on the bottom to sew in the correct direction.
- Sew the right short side with a ¼ inch seam.
- Press toward accent fabric.
- Match the sewn pieces right sides together (be sure that opposite fabrics are on top of each other.
- Sew a ¼ seam on the long edge.
- Press seams to one side.
Ohio Star finishing instructionsLayout pieces as shown in diagram and chain piece together first rows, then columns using a ¼ seam. Press seams to one side.
You can find a fabric calculator for the Ohio Star block to make different size blocks and different quantities of blocks using the square method to cut pieces.