A Friendship calculator is available for different sizes, number and methods of blocks for your own project.
Fabric 1 (background) - 8 squares 2-3/8" for square HST method OR 1 strip 2" wide for strip HST method.
Fabric 2, 3, 4 & 5 (including accent fabric) - 1 square 2" of each fabric and either 2 squares 2-3/8" OR 1 strip 2" wide of each fabric.
Square Half Square Triangle Method:
- Match 1 square of Fabric 1 right sides together with one of the other 4 fabrics.
- Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on wrong side of lighter fabric.
- Sew 1/4 inch seam on both side of diagonal line.
- Cut units apart on drawn diagonal line.
- Press seam to one side. Repeat for remaining 2-3/8" squares.
- You'll have 1 left over half square triangle unit from each square pair for some other project.
- Match 1 strip .
- Using a side right triangle ruler or template, cut 3 half square triangles pairs. Move ruler/template upside down for next cut when necessary.
- Sew 1/4 inch seam on long side of triangle pair.
- Press seam to one side. Repeat with remaining fabrics.
- Makes 3 half square triangle units of each fabric pair (12 total).