Background: Cut 4 quarter square triangles from 2 inch strips using a quarter square triangle ruler.
Medium: Cut 4 half square triangles from 3½ inch strips using a half square triangle ruler.
Dark: Cut 4 quarter square triangles from 2 inch strips using a quarter square triangle ruler.
Tri Square Triangle Unit Instructions
There are 2 variations of the tri square triangle unit where the quarter square triangles are on different sides. Make 2 of each for the block.
- Match up a Background fabric quarter square triangle with an Dark fabric quarter square triangle right sides together with long side toward the bottom and Dark fabric on top.
- Sew a ¼ inch seam on right short side of triangle pair.
- Press seam to one side.
- Match previously sewn quarter square triangles to Medium fabric half square triangle right sides together.
- Sew a ¼ inch seam on long side of triangles.
- Press seams toward half square triangle.
- Repeat to make second variation with Background fabric on top of Dark fabric quarter square triangles.