Garden Quilt - Friendship Flowers
The Friendship Flowers block measures 12 inches by 18 inches finished. You will need a background fabric, flower centers, 3 assorted flower petal, leaf and stem fabrics.
Cut 12 squares 2½ inches.
Cut 6 squares 3 inches.
Cut 3 rectangles 6½ by 7 inches.
Flower Center: Cut 3 squares 2½ inches.
Assorted Flower Petals: Cut 2 squares 3 inches from 3 petal fabrics.
Stems: Cut 3 about 1½ inches wide bias strips about 10 inches long.
Leaves: Cut 5 or 6 leaves using template or create your own leaf style.
- Match a 3 inch square of each petal fabric and a background fabric right sides together.
- Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on wrong side of lighter fabric.
- Sew ¼ inch seam on both sides of diagonal line.
- Cut units apart on drawn diagonal line.
- Press seam to one side (units should measure 2½ inches including seam allowance).
Friendship Star block
- For each block use 4 half square triangle units, 4 background 2½ inch squares and 1 flower center 2½ inch square.
- Sew block nine patch together with a ¼ inch seam.
- Press seams to one side. Sew 3 Friendship Star blocks
- Sew a 6½ by 7 inch rectangle to the bottom of each Friendship Star block with short side aligned to width of block.
- Press seams to one side.
- Position each star strip next to one another, varying the heights as shown in picture.
- Cut off the uneven bottoms of each star strip, allowing at least 1½ inches from the bottom of the lowest star tip and 1½ inches above the top of the tallest star tip.
- Sew the respective cutoff piece to the top of each star.
- Sew Friendship Star strips together and press seams to one side.
Stems and Leaves
- Add curvy stems using bias strips folded in half wrong sides together.
- Sew folded strip in place ¼ inch from raw edges then fold back over raw edged and top stitch along folded edge.
- Use template or make your own leaves and applique in place with your favorite applique method.
Now embellish at will!