Fabric 1 - sky:
A. Cut 2 rectangles 3½ by 4 inches.
B. Cut 1 rectangle 4½ by 3¾ inches.
C. Cut 1 rectangle 2½ by 7 inches.
D. Cut 2 rectangles 1¾ by 8 inches.
E. Cut 1 rectangle 1¾ by 7 inches.
Fabric 2 - marker:
F. Cut 1 rectangle 3¾ by 3 inches
Cut 1 rectangle 1 by 3 inches for stick.
Fabric 3 - flower pot
G. Cut 1 rectangle 1½ by 7 inches.
H. Cut 2 rectangles 3½ by 4 inches.
Fabric 4 - grass and seedlings
I. Cut 1 rectangle 2½ by 9½ inches.
Cut 2 rectangles 1 by 3 inches for stems.
Cut 4 squares about 1 to 1½ inches and cut a leaf shapes from them.
- Stack pieces A wrong sides together with H pieces also wrong sides together.
- Place stack on cutting mat with longer edges on the top and bottom.
- Cut a diagonal line from lower right corner to upper center.
- Layout pieces as shown in diagram and sew H pieces to A pieces; press seam toward H pieces.
- Trim the H pieces 3½ inch side to make A/H units 5 inches wide.
- Sew A/H units together; press seam to one side.
- Sew piece I to A/H/H/A unit; press seam toward I.
- Sew piece B to piece F, press seams to one side.
- Fold and press stem and stick fabric pieces in thirds wrong sides together lengthwise.
- Using the B/F unit for a placement guide, pin stems and stick to piece C (raw edges will hang over).
- Sew stem and stick pieces to C fabric piece close to folded edges either by hand or machine.
- Sew E, B/F, C and G pieces and units together; press seams to one side.
- Sew D pieces to sides of unit E/B/F/C/G; press seams toward D pieces.
- Sew top unit to bottom unit; press seams toward top unit.
- Sew leaves on stems using your favorite applique method.