Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Jewel Box Watercolor Style

I usually like my Jewel Box quilt in vivid jewel tones, however, I've seen some beautiful versions using subtle differences between background and jewel fabrics as well as using very earthy fabrics. They were stunning too.

Lately I've been experimenting with mixing traditional quilt blocks with watercolor style. In this example, I divided the block into a 16 X 16 piece block. Within each color group, there are 4 different shades from light to dark which makes 20 fabrics total.

Background

  • light - 57 half square triangles
  • medium light - 40 squares
  • medium - 48 squares
  • medium dark - 24 squares
From each of 4 color groups
  • light - 12 half square triangles
  • medium light - 10 squares
  • medium - 8 squares
  • medium dark - 6 squares
Happy Quilting, 

Jeanne

1 comment: